Smith is among the largest women’s colleges in the United States, with students from 48 states and 68 countries. The College opened in 1875 with 14 students. It was the first women’s college in the United States to grant its own undergraduate degrees in engineering. Each year approximately 100 men and women pursue advanced graduate work at Smith.
Smith College has 285 professors in 41 academic departments and programs. The Ada Comstock Scholars Program is an undergraduate degree program that serves Smith students of nontraditional college age. Smith offers more than 50 areas of study in social sciences and history, the arts, languages, literature, mathematics and the natural sciences.
Smith College’s 2021 Rankings
Smith College is ranked #15 in National Liberal Arts Colleges. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
15 in National Liberal Arts Colleges (tie)
19 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie)
8 in Best Value Schools
With 37.9% Smith College acceptance rate, It is the most selective school. For the Class of 2019 (enrolling fall 2015), Smith received 5,006 applications, accepted 1,897 (37.9%) and enrolled 609. Smith remains strongly committed to the education of women at the undergraduate level but admits both men and women as graduate students.
What GPA do you need to get into the Smith College?
If you’re currently a junior or senior, your GPA is hard to change in time for college applications.
- The average GPA at Smith College is 3.94.
- With a GPA of 3.94, Smith College requires you to be at the top of your class.
- You’ll need nearly straight A’s in all your classes to compete with other applicants.
Smith College SAT Score Analysis (New 1600 SAT)
Here’s the breakdown of new SAT scores by section:
|Section||Average||25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
What is a good ACT score for Smith College?
- The average ACT score at Smith College is 30.
- This score makes Smith College Strongly Competitive for ACT scores.
How much does it tuition & Cost to go to Smith College?
Traditional Undergraduate Tuition 2018-19
Students are billed for one-half of the annual charges at the beginning of each semester.
|Room & Board||$17,520|
|Student Activities Fee||$284|
|Student Health Insurance Plan||$2,368|
|Total per year||$72,292|
Academic Life at Smith College
The student-faculty ratio at Smith College is 9:1, and the school has 69% of its classes with fewer than 20 students. The most popular majors at Smith College include: Political Science and Government, General; Economics, General; English Language and Literature, General; Research and Experimental Psychology, Other; and Engineering, General. The average freshman retention rate, an indicator of student satisfaction, is 94%.
What majors are the Smith College is known for?
- The most popular majors at Smith College include Research and Experimental Psychology, Economics, Political Science and Government, Biology/Biological Sciences, and English Language and Literature, General.
- Smith offers men and women graduate work leading to the degrees of master of arts in teaching (elementary, middle or high school), master of fine arts, master of education of the deaf, master of science in biological sciences, master of science in exercise and sport studies and master and Ph.D. in social work.
- In special one-year programs, international students may qualify for a certificate of graduate studies or a diploma in American studies.
Is Smith College a public or Private school?
- Smith College is a private, independent women’s liberal arts college with coed graduate and certificate programs in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- Smith College has many different houses serving as dormitories.
- More than 48,000 undergraduate and 7,000 graduate degree recipients in all 50 states and more than 120 countries.
- Each year nearly half of Smith juniors study abroad in Smith programs in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg, and Paris, or in programs in Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America and English-speaking countries in both hemispheres.
- 11 varsity sports and extensive intramural and club sports
- 37 self-governing houses accommodate between 12 and 100 students; most houses include women from all four classes.
What SAT score is required for the Smith College?
- The average SAT score composite at Smith College is 1420.